Wednesday, April 10, 2013
A dryer fire brought volunteer fire companies from Pikesville and Lutherville.
A dryer fire disrupted business Wednesday at Massage Heights in The Shops at Quarry Lake. At about 3 p.m., the business at 2544 Quarry Lake Drive was filled with light smoke at the massage salon. Employees in black shirts stood outside on the sidewalk. Like Pikesville Patch on Facebook. And, view more photos of the dryer fire in our Facebook album. Meanwhile, firefighters from the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company and the Lutherville Volunteer Fire Company worked to extinguish the fire, and to assure that there were no other hot spots. Several business owners nearby said the cause was a dryer that caught fire. Two officers from the Baltimore County Police Department's Pikesville Precinct assisted by monitoring foot traffic and motor …
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Fatal beltway crash, a chimney fire and accidents mark this month in calls.
The Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company was called to a crash at I-695 on Feb. 22; it was a crash that ended up with a fatality. At about 1 a.m., a motorist was driving a Honda car when it struck a tractor trailer. The driver was ejected and run over by another vehicle, according to a report on the company website. According to Maryland State Police, Jason Sukun Park of Baltimore was driving the Honda when it hit a tractor trailer driven by Brian David Olson of California. Park was struck by a car driven by Brian Michael Douglas of Baltimore. Park was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a state police release. 6901 Security Boulevard, Second floor at Macy's. Before 7 p.m. Feb. 19. Smoke was coming from a storage closet, and sprinklers…
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Sachs died Dec. 19, and his funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Baltimore Hebrew Congregation.
Friday, September 28, 2012
Bill Levin, who died earlier this year, was inducted posthumously on Sept. 22.
Bill Levin has been posthumously named to the Baltimore County Volunteer Firemen’s Association Hall of Fame. Levin joined the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company in 1988 and served for 24 years. He passed away earlier this year, according to a company news release. Norma Levin, who is his widow, and Richard Berkowitz, company president, accepted the recognition Sept. 22 on Bill Levin's behalf. Levin is the 22nd member of the company to be named to the Hall of Fame. "Bill was a dedicated volunteer for the community," Berkowitz said in a statement. "He's perhaps best known as the firefighter who would often respond to the station from his home for all calls—no matter how small, and no matter how late at night the pager went off."
Monday, May 7, 2012
Levin, 65, was a member of Temple Oheb Shalom and the Pikesville Chamber of Commerce.
Bill Levin, longtime Pikesville Volunteer Company firefighter, died Friday at the Gilchrest Center. Levin was an officer with the company for 24 years, and was a member of Temple Oheb Shalom and the Pikesville Chamber of Commerce, according to an article in the Baltimore Sun. The fire company held a birthday party for Levin on April 25, when members awarded him a Life Time Member certificate, according to the PVFC website. "Engine 321, Squad 322, Tower 323, Medic 325, and Utility 329—with nearly two dozen PVFC members aboard—made a very important non-emergency response to Greater Baltimore Medical Center," in celebration of Levin's 65th birthday, the website states. He held various elected positions with the company, including vice …
Thursday, May 3, 2012
The Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company is searching the area for golfers to participate in its second annual fundraiser.
Is your golf game on fire? Or are you just plain fired up about golf? The Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company needs your help to make its second annual fundraising tournament a success. It's set for Monday, July 16, at the Suburban Club, 7600 Park Heights Ave., Pikesville, and the group needs golfers and sponsors. The deadline to register to golf is June 1, according to a news release from the fire company. The first fundraiser in 2011 helped the fire company maintain its status as one of the busiest career or volunteer fire stations in Baltimore County, the release states. The volunteers responded to nearly 3,700 emergency calls that year. That's 1,808 on the fire suppression side and 1,891 on the medical side, the release states. "The …
Sunday, October 23, 2011
More than 200 people attended the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company event Sunday.
During its open house Sunday, the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company gave back to the community that supports its service and projects, said Firefighter Kathleen Resnick. "We want to thank ... everyone in the Pikesville community for coming out today and supporting our open house," she said. "It's a great day to learn about fire safety in your home and in your community. And thank you for supporting us every year." Resnick is vice president and chaplain for the company, and coordinated the event. Those who attended the open house watched as the company dedicated its new, $800K heavy rescue squad, they saw how firefighters extricate a victim from a wrecked car using the "Jaws of Life," and took rides on one of two firetrucks. "Today is a …
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Capt. Glenn Resnick gives safety tips during National Fire Prevention Week.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
It's National Fire Prevention Week, Oct. 9-15, and Capt. Glenn Resnick of the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company offers reminders on how to be safe in our homes. And he invites residents to the company's open house Oct. 23. It's an opportunity to learn more about fire safety and to become familiar with the PVFC and its equipment. Here is his letter unedited and printed in full. Fires can happen anywhere—in structures, buildings, automobiles, and the outdoors—but fires that affect our homes are often the most tragic and the most preventable. More than 75 percent of all fire fatalities occur in home fires, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. The theme for this year's National Fire Prevention Week is "Protect Your Family from Fire." In …
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
The Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company and other stations responded to a fire early Wednesday on Windsor Road.
Fire damaged a Pikesville home early Wednesday, according to the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Department. At about 7 a.m., the Baltimore County Fire Department was called to a fire in the 900 block of Windsor Road in Sudbrook Park. Several stations, including the PVFC, responded, according to a report on the PVFC website. No injuries were reported, the report states. A sump pump likely caused the fire. A county fire department official said the "accidental fire" started in or around the sump pump, dehumidifier and back-up battery.
A run/walk held this month, along with T-shirt sales, netted Fleet Feet a nice donation for the Police & Community Relations Council and the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company.
Local police and fire organizations received $1,000 each Tuesday thanks to money raised during a Pikesville benefit run and walk earlier this month. The three-mile event, Always Remember, Never Forget 9-11, was held Sept. 11 to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the attacks on the U.S. On Tuesday, in the middle of The Festival at Woodholme parking lot, Fleet Feet owners Karen and Bobby Levin presented a $1,000 check to the Pikesville Precinct's Police & Community Relations Council, and another to the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company. The Levins, along with Baltimore County police Sgt. Vickie Warehime, spearheaded the event. Members of the police Explorers group helped with parking.