Thursday, May 2, 2013
The volunteer firefighter who was was critically injured during the April 24 fire in Reisterstown died Thursday at Maryland Shock Trauma. His funeral is set for Sunday.
It was a horrific fire April 24 that the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company was called to control. Volunteer firefighter Gene Kirchner, 25, and several others were searching the home at 19 Hanover Rd., trying to find a resident because "very, very agitated residents were screaming that someone was trapped," Baltimore County Fire Chief John Hohman said during a press conference Thursday afternoon. "Gene and others, they attempted to rescue the individual," Hohman said, calling the fire "horrific." Kirchner, a nine-year veteran of the company, died on Thursday at Maryland Shock Trauma after spending eight days in critical condition. "Gene himself ended up being rescued from the second floor by his co-volunteers here at Reisterstown and two …
The 25-year-old is the second fatality from a house fire April 24 at 19 Hanover Road in Reisterstown.
UPDATE (2:30 p.m.)--Volunteer Firefighter Gene Kirchner died Thursday afternoon at Maryland Shock Trauma, according to the Baltimore County Fire Department. The member of the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire company was critically injured April 24 while doing a search during a house fire at 19 Hanover Rd in Reisterstown. "It is with deep sorrow and regret that the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company announces the line of duty passing of Firefighter Gene Kirchner," according to a statement from the fire company. "Gene succumbed to his injures after an 8-day fight." Gene was a 9-year member of the fire company, and was a junior firefighter for 2 years, it states. "A full fire department funeral will be scheduled." A 58-year-old resident died …
Sunday, April 28, 2013
The Maryland State Fire Marshal offers tips for clothes dryer safety, from cleaning the filter and not operating the dryer when no one is home, to getting it serviced at least once a year.
Clean and maintain clothes dryers to help prevent fires and keep the machine working for longer. State Fire Marshal William Barnard offers the following tips, according to a news release: For more information on fire safety call 800-525-3124 or visit the State Fire Marshal website or its Facebook page. The fire marshal is headquartered in Pikesville.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Gene Kirchner, 25, has been a member of the company for nine years, and was injured while fighting a fire Wednesday morning at a home at 19 Hanover Road, Reisterstown.
Gene Kirchner, 25, began his career with the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company when he was only 14. "He has been a member for nine years. He is very smart, intelligent individual. He is a very key part of our company," said Assistant Chief Craig Hewitt, pausing frequently. "He is one of our key responders. He is here all the time." On Wednesday, however, Kirchner is in critical condition at Maryland Shock Trauma after he was injured fighting an early-morning fire at a home in the unit block of Hanover Road. Having a key member injured is emotionally difficult for the company, so firefighters, family members and friends have gathered at the station. "Everybody's grouping together, coming together as a whole, supporting each other," Hewitt…
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
A dryer fire brought volunteer fire companies from Pikesville and Lutherville.
A dryer fire disrupted business Wednesday at Massage Heights in The Shops at Quarry Lake. At about 3 p.m., the business at 2544 Quarry Lake Drive was filled with light smoke at the massage salon. Employees in black shirts stood outside on the sidewalk. Like Pikesville Patch on Facebook. And, view more photos of the dryer fire in our Facebook album. Meanwhile, firefighters from the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company and the Lutherville Volunteer Fire Company worked to extinguish the fire, and to assure that there were no other hot spots. Several business owners nearby said the cause was a dryer that caught fire. Two officers from the Baltimore County Police Department's Pikesville Precinct assisted by monitoring foot traffic and motor …
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Firefighters are investigating.
Administrators evacuated students from Pikesville High School Tuesday afternoon after a fire broke out in a science area restroom. "The fire is out and is under investigation," said Capt. Bill Allenbaugh of the Baltimore County Career Fire Department No. 2. He said he could not say what kind of fire it was, because it is under investigation. The department got the call at about 1:30 p.m., Allenbaugh said. It was a small fire inside a restroom in the science area of the school. The school was evacuated when the fire company arrived, he said. The Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company also responded. There's a conversation going on about this event, on Pikesville Patch's Facebook page. Join in. And to view more photos, visit the album.
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Fatal beltway crash, a chimney fire and accidents mark this month in calls.
The Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company was called to a crash at I-695 on Feb. 22; it was a crash that ended up with a fatality. At about 1 a.m., a motorist was driving a Honda car when it struck a tractor trailer. The driver was ejected and run over by another vehicle, according to a report on the company website. According to Maryland State Police, Jason Sukun Park of Baltimore was driving the Honda when it hit a tractor trailer driven by Brian David Olson of California. Park was struck by a car driven by Brian Michael Douglas of Baltimore. Park was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a state police release. 6901 Security Boulevard, Second floor at Macy's. Before 7 p.m. Feb. 19. Smoke was coming from a storage closet, and sprinklers…
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
The following house fires were reported on the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company's website.
Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company helped battle the following blazes, so far in January 2013, according to its website. Click on the links for photos and details. Also this year, the PVFC was among 40 emergency responders to receive a grant from BGE. The company was awarded money to buy a thermal imager to help see people through smoke. Don't forget: When approaching any emergency vehicle stopped alongside the road, move over a lane or two, away from the incident to help keep emergency responders safe.
Monday, January 28, 2013
Check out the top stories from this weekend.
Minister, Civil Rights Leader Dies Vernon Dobson, a minister and leader of the civil rights movement in Baltimore, died of a stroke, on Saturday. He also served in the Navy during World War II, according to The Baltimore Sun. Baltimore's VA Office Worst in Nation The Baltimore office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs takes a year on average to process claims from service members, and make more mistakes then any other office in the nation, according to The Baltimore Sun. Police Identify Man Shot at Lutherville Light Rail Stop Patch reports Harold J. Blandon, Jr., 35, was identified as the man shot and severly wounded at the Lutherville light rail station. Three Alarm Fire Damages Rosedale Shopping Center A fire broke out in the …
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
About 40 agencies throughout central Maryland got their share of funds for equipment and programs of their own choosing.
The Pikesville and Providence volunteer fire companies each has a new thermal imaging camera to help firefighters see through smoke—and help save people trapped inside burning buildings. The Owings Mills Volunteer Fire Company has replaced its 25-year-old hose with a new, large-diameter hose. And the Red Cross of the Chesapeake Region now has a new shelter trailer that will be stocked with cots, blankets and other items, and will be ready for an emergency. They are among 40 emergency responder organizations in Central Maryland that are receiving up to a $10,000 portion of nearly $318,000 in grants from Baltimore Gas and Electric Company. On Wednesday, BGE leaders and representatives of non-profit groups gathered to announce awards through …