Wellwood International Elementary School
Wellwood International is a public school in the Baltimore County Public Schools district. Its 422 students hail from 30 or more countries, providing a true multicultural experience. There are French classes at each grade level, as well as a French Immersion Magnet Program. There is a full-time English as a Second Language teacher on staff. The school grounds boast two baseball diamonds, a basketball court, two playgrounds and other fields for athletics. The building has a gymnasium/auditorium and a health suite. The entire roof is being replaced; work should be complete by December 2010.
- Fax: 410-887-1213
- Hours: Office hours: Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped parking and curb cuts
- Founding Date: 1956
- Number of students: 422
- Public/Private: Public
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: There are 46 members of the student support staff and two administrators.
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school is involved in the Pikesville-Greenspring Community Coalition, providing entertainment by students at the coalition's festivals, and at other community events.
- What makes this community special?: There is a diverse population of students -- racially and socio-economically, which makes it such a great place to be and to learn, says Principal Tricia Rueter.
- Grade levels: K-5
- Features: Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Activities range from an after-school French club and tutoring to a Black Saga team, which focuses on African-American history and contributions made by African-Americans.