Pikesville Branch Library
Pikesville is a community that loves its library. At any given time, about half of the library's collection is checked out, said Librarian Karen Hoffman, and there are often only a few computers available to use out of the library's 20 stations. This library has also kept up with the times technologically. Through the Baltimore County Public Library website, patrons can access the catalogue, download books to computers and MP3 players, renew library materials or pay fines. The branch has a successful well-attended speakers bureau from October to April, held at 1pm each Wednesday. A large children's area includes an early literacy center, with drawers of literacy games.
- Fax: None
- Hours: Mon - Thu, 9am - 9pm; Fri, Sat, 9am - 5:30pm; Oct. - April: Sun, 1pm - 5pm
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped parking spaces and a concrete incline from the parking lot to the sidewalk, near the front door, are available.
- What makes this community special?: "From the library's point of view, they love to read which is exciting and awesome," Hoffman said. "We are a very busy branch."
- Parking: Free lot
- Specialties: Twenty public computers, 10 carrels for laptops and free Wi-Fi, books on CD and books on a new type of machinery called a PlayAways, small enough to fit into a pocket, are available. Databases online offer information on stocks, history and other topics.
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: Each patron gets 3 hours, and must sign in with their library card.
- Programs/classes: There is a meeting room that can be rented by calling the main office in Towson: 410-887-6000 Ext. 6109.
- Book donation information: Patrons can bring donations to the library, but those donations will be given to Better World Books, an online seller of used books. A link to Better World Books is on the Baltimore County Public Library website, titled "Buy used books."
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Private events: Yes