Arundel Boys Soccer Eliminated By Broadneck on Penalty Kicks

After 100 scoreless minutes of regulation, No. 12 Arundel takes no. 4 Broadneck to penalty kicks but falls, 4-3.

CAPE ST. CLAIRE - Goals are always at a premium when Arundel High and Broadneck get together for a soccer match. So it should be no surprise that the latest meeting between the two school went to penalty kicks.

The two teams failed to score in regulation and overtime, and went to a seventh kick when a blast down the middle of the goal by Broadneck's freshman Tyler Gabarra sent his squad past Arundel, 4-3, on penalty kicks in a MPSSAA 4A East region quaterfinal matchup.

"Broadneck is a hell of a team. Very, very well-coached. [I have] a lot of respect for that program over there. Every time we get together it's an epic match," Arundel coach Mike McCarron said.

Arundel's best first-half options came off the boot of senior Glenn McKenzie. After earning a free kick, McKenzie redirected a Joon Lee free kick right at the . With less than two minutes to play in the first half, McKenzie struck a half-volley in front of goal, but his effort was wide right of the goal.

"I think we played pretty well attackingly. We just couldn't finish. We had a lot of chances," Lee said. "I'm really proud of this team for playing like we did today. I think it's the best game we've had so far."

The Wildcat attack was held in check as the second half began. Arundel did not muster a shot for thirteen minutes, as Broadneck threatened with five shots and two corner kicks in that same time.

"Tyler [Wilson] did a great job tonight making those saves, I give him a lot of credit," Lee said.

After 62 minutes of play, Lee sprung Logan McCarron toward goal for a one-on-one showdown with Niedermeier, but the Bruin netminder deflected the shot for a Wildcat corner kick.

As regulation ended without either team finding the back of the net, Arundel found a similar situation as Keith Grassel got behind the Broadneck defense in search of the game's first goal. Yet again, Niedermeier denied the Wildcats on another scoring opportunity.

One hundred minutes of scoreless play meant that the game would need to be settled by penalty kicks.

"Unless someone got something on a corner or a throw-in it was probably going to be bound for that," Broadneck coach Sean Tettemer said.

Playing to a best-of-five penalty kicks, Arundel and Broadneck finished tied at three after ten kicks. Lee, Cambel Carberry and JayTee Maxwell converted kicks, while Logan McCarron and Colin Santos had their shots saved. Wilson then saw two Broadneck shots miss, first just over the center of the crossbar and then clang off the right corner of the goal.

Now in a best-of-one situation, McKenzie's shot to the right was saved, while Wilson saved a Zach Palmer shot.

Max Conant too was denied on his shot.

"He's an incredible goalie," Wilson said about his counterpart, Niedermeier. "The kid's phenomenal."

Gabarra then blasted his kick down the middle, as Wilson guessed incorrectly, and Broadneck eliminated the Wildcats.

"We worked hard all year long, fixed pieces of our game. This was a great high school game, on both sides. Very, very well-played. They don't get much better than this. They really don't," Mike McCarron said.

chris callahan November 02, 2011 at 09:19 PM
Congratulations to the Arundel seniors on an outstanding season....rare to see a group of players that got along so well, checked their egos at the door, and worked so fluently together. It all came together last night and the game could have went either way. Good luck in your futures and thanks for the memories this season.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »