.
News Alert
Weather Alert: Baltimore Under Flash Flood Warning

Havre de Grace Helps Extinguish Aberdeen Duplex Fire

The Susquehanna Hose Company was one of three crews responding to a blaze that began with a candle, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal.

Four adults and a child were displaced after flames spread through their Aberdeen home Saturday night, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.

Nobody was injured in the Dec. 29 fire on the unit block of Defense Drive in Aberdeen, according to the fire marshal's report, which stated the Susquehanna Hose Company assisted two other crews in putting out the blaze.

Just before 11 p.m. Saturday, a child discovered that an unattended candle had caused a fire in his bedroom and he told his grandmother, the reported stated.

The grandmother and her brother tried to fan the flames with a blanket, but the fire and smoke grew so they left the house and alerted a neighbor, who called 911, the report stated.

The child's parents, who also lived in the residence, were not home at the time of the fire, which was reported at 10:53 p.m., according to the fire marshal.

The fire marshal said that the Susquehanna Hose CompanyAberdeen Fire Department and Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire and Emergency Services responded to the fire, which took 20 minutes to bring under control.

Firefighters from Havre de Grace arrived at 11:06 p.m. and made sure the fire had not spread after it was knocked out plus conducted a secondary search of the building to ensure all occupants had escaped to safety, according to a report from the Susquehanna Hose Company.

The fire marshal said there was $100,000 in structural damage and $25,000 in damage to the contents of the one-story Aberdeen duplex.

Daria December 31, 2012 at 05:09 AM
Thank God everyone is OK. Thank you, First Responders!!!
James P. Miller December 31, 2012 at 05:19 AM
Why did a four year old have a candle in his bedroom. Parents need to parent and not let children have access to matches.
Ken Streb December 31, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Good point Jimmy. Wouldnt have hurt to have a fire extingusher in the house either. If they had one and could have used it , it might have reduced the amount of damage. Also, wonder if there were smoke detectors ??
Jan Biondo January 02, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Where does it state that the child was four years old? Although I do agree that children should nor have access to candles or matches, this child could be anywhere up to 17 years old. Also I don't believe it is right to blame the parents necessarily since the grandmother and her brother were home with the child at the time. The most important thing is that they are safe. Prayeers go out to them at this holiday time.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »