By Susan Kurlander, Prevention Education
Why is Chanukah a favorite holiday for so many children and adults as well? Some answers:
- We’re celebrating miracles — good things that have happened.
- The holiday is celebrated at home with family.
- It’s traditional to eat Sufganiyot (doughnuts) filled with jelly.
- We exchange gifts.
- The most important ritual is lighting candles and singing the blessings each night, which usually doesn’t take more than a few minutes.
- Playing games and singing songs are important parts of the holiday celebration.
How much fun it is to get together with friends and families, to display the menorah in a visible place, to have sour cream or apple sauce with delicious latkes, to spin the dreidle and collect the pennies. Read more...