The Baltimore Gas and Electric Company is warning customers that it's preparing for possible weather-related power outages Wednesday afternoon.
That's in light of weather forecasts, that a thunderstorm and high winds might hit central Maryland, including the Pikesville area.
Help us get to 600 fans. Like Pikesville Patch on Facebook.
Although earlier Wednesday, the thunderstorms were expected in the afternoon, the National Weather Service forecast for Pikesville now says they'll likely occur before 9 p.m.
The storm could bring strong winds and hail, the forecast states.
BGE’s warnings come after nearly 748,000 customers were without power earlier this month—some for a more than week—after the destructive derecho storm hit the region.
Pikesville was among those hit hard, with felled trees, and lengthy, uncomfortable power outtages.
The warnings also come amid a heat wave this week, which has triggered the opening of cooling centers across the region.
There also may be “strong to severe” thunderstorms Thursday afternoon and evening as well.
A high of 99 degrees is expected Wednesday, with a 20 to 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. There is a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms Thursday, with an expected high of 91 degrees.
“As the region continues to experience high temperatures, exceeding 100 degrees, BGE is also preparing for potential weather-related outages from the severe thunderstorms and high wind forecasted for this afternoon,” said Jeannette M. Mills, vice president and chief customer officer for BGE in a press release.
BGE officials said in a statement they might activate the company’s voluntary energy demand response program, called PeakRewards, “which helps lower the cost of electricity.”
The company activated PeakRewards for about two hours Tuesday, officials said.
“This program is critical to helping the company and the electric grid operator for the region reduce peak demand and keep the electric system balanced, particularly during periods of high demand,” officials said in a statement.
See related links