When it comes to the most-borrowed fiction and non-fiction books, Pikesville Branch Library doesn't fall far from the Baltimore County Public Library tree.
The Help, a novel by Kathryn Stockett, came out in 2009 and "is still being read like crazy" at the Pikesville branch, said Librarian Amanda Myers. "It is, without a doubt, an outstanding read. It's very worthwhile."
There will soon be a movie based on the book, Myers added. According to the movie's website, it will be in theaters Wednesday.
The Help also tops the Baltimore County Public Library system's list of the most-borrowed fiction books for July 15 to Aug. 1.
For nonfiction, Erik Larson's book In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler’s Berlin tops the system-wide list. It's also very popular at the Pikesville branch.
"Every book Larson writes becomes wildly popular," Myers said.
There's a long waiting list for both books at the Pikesville Branch, she said.
Among the books that are popular at the Pikesville branch, but are not listed on the most recent, system-wide, most-borrowed list, are The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, and Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan, Myers said.
Here's the list of Baltimore County Public Library’s Most Borrowed Books, systemwide, from July 15 to Aug. 1:
- The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
- One Summer (David Baldacci)
- Now You See Her (James Patterson)
- Toys (James Patterson)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson)
- Sing You Home (Jodi Picoult)
- 44 Charles Street (Danielle Steel)
- Mystery: An Alex Delaware Novel (Jonathan Kellerman)
- Tick Tock (James Patterson)
- State of Wonder (Ann Patchett)
- In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler’s Berlin (Erik Larson)
- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (Laura Hillenbrand)
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Rebecca Skloot)
- Bossypants (Tina Fey)
- The Greater Journey: Americans In Paris, 1830-1900 (David McCullough)
- Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of his Trip to Heaven and Back (Todd Burpo)
- Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography (Rob Lowe)
- Cleopatra: A Life (Stacy Schiff)
- Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank Sinatra (Barbara Sinatra)
- Outliers: The Story of Success (Malcolm Gladwell)