Passover starts at sunset Monday, so you might be looking for new recipe ideas.
Here are a few to help get you going from other Patch sites throughout the United States.
Have others to share, or ways to make these recipes better?
Here's a recipe from Lexington Patch in Massachusetts.
- 6 sheets of matzo
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Break the matzos into small pieces into a colander or strainer and run it under hot water to soften the matzo. Let sit for five minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl large enough to hold them and the matzo.
- Add the softened matzo and mix thoroughly.
- In a small frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter thoroughly until foam subsides. DO NOT let it get too brown.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out matzo mixture into hot pan to make a single-serve pancake (this may take more than one spoonful, depending on the size of your spoon and your pan- see attached picture for better representation).
- Flatten pancake with back of spoon and let cook until brown on underside. Edges will begin to show some browning as well.
- Flip pancake and brown thoroughly on other side.
- Fry until pancake is cooked through (you may want to lower the heat a bit if it seems to be browning on the outside faster than it is cooking on the inside).
- Serve with butter and salt and pepper (the way my kids like it) or sour cream and applesauce (like a latke) or REAL maple syrup (imitation maple syrup may have corn syrup, so make sure you check the label).
And two more from Natick Patch, also in Massachusetts.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 cup cake mea
- 5 apples peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 jar strawberry preserves
Beat eggs, sugar, salt, oil and then add dry ingredients. Pour 1/2 in a cake tin or 9x12 cake pan. Spread apples, preserve and sugar and cinnamon - then add the other half of the batter and top with apples, preserve, sugar and cinnamon.
Bake 1 hour 350 degrees (check with toothpick to make sure the cake is fully baked inside).
Sweet Potatoes with Orange
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (9 small or 6 large - fresh or canned)
- 1/4 lb margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tlbsp grated orange rind
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Preheat over 400 degrees. Boil sweet potatoes in their jackets for 20-30 minutes until tender (if using fresh). Peel and mash well. Add margarine, oj, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange peel, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Whip until fluffy (add a little oj if mixture seems too dry). Place in a greased shallow baking dish (2 qt). Bake at 400 degrees until top is lightly browned. Add marshmallows last 5 minutes.